Monday, February 6, 2017
Review : Velvet by Temple West
Title : Velvet (Velvet Trilogy #1)
Author : Temple West
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Fantasy, Romance
Caitlin doesn't expect to fall for her bodyguard, who's coincidentally a vampire.
From Goodreads :
After losing both her parents before age seventeen, aspiring designer Caitlin Holte feels like her whole world has been turned upside down, and that was before the terrifying encounter with a supernatural force. Then, she learns that her hot bad-boy neighbor, Adrian—who might have just saved her life—is actually a half-demon vampire.
When Caitlin Holte leaves her hometown of Mystic, CT, to upstate NY, of the small town of Stony Creak, she never thought anything could be worse than her mother passing away. Adjusting to a new life with strangers and new friends was not what she had in mind. Including the infamous Adrian de la Mara, a senior boy, who's not known to being friendly. When Caitlin stumbles across an incident involving Adrian's father at the start of the book, she has to be kept watched; her safety in risk. More complications arise when she finds out that not only is Adrian a vampire, but that they have to fake a relationship.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was engaging from start to finish, I like protagonist with some humor in them. The book really hooked me from the first chapter, when Adrian and Caitlin first met, and why and what he did to save her. I like how West was inspired from the Twilight series to create her own version of vampires and what their powers are. Not to say that it was the same kind of story, it's different and everything is pretty unexpected, so other readers will probably like this too, if they like vampire romance stories. I like West's writing, her written dialogue scenes made me chuckle alot, and nothing was too confusing or not explained enough, so it's an easy flowing book to follow (although I don't think readers were suppose to follow Adrian's complicated vampire explanations that made me scratch my head).
Caitlin . . she just moved to NY four days after her mother's death, with a family she never knew she had and never once came to see her mother. So, I thought it was pretty reasonable that she was mad and upset with her aunt for not being there. Although I said that, she was really mean at times and had some serious anger issues. Every time she got mad, small things made her get more angry at other people. It was understandable she didn't want to be in this type of situation of being forced to being Adrian's girlfriend just so he can protect her, but I think she's just a hard character to like in general.
Adrian, wow he was such a cutey. The moment when Caitlin first took a real look at his designer clothes, she automatically thought he was gay. Hilarious. Even he thought so. When in reality he couldn't keep be close to any humans because he was a vampire and his family just coincidently like to dress fashionably. No worries, he's not an ancient vampire (well not yet anyway) and is eighteen. He was a good bodyguard and really sticked close to Caitlin. They gradually fell for each other and I loved how he blushed at some embarrassing moments. Caitlin was mad at him when he distanced himself later, but readers kinda figure it out why since he's just trying to stick to his vampire laws. And for also trying not to give each other heartache.
I love all the side characters in the book and there were so many! From Caitlin's aunt, Rachel, who was trying to make up for past mistakes, even though Caitlin was being a bit hard on her about it, she was just trying to get to know her niece. To Trish, Caitlin's first real friend made at a school. She was an awesome chick that stuck by and covered for her when she when off to meet Adrian, becoming a great friend. She also made more friends from Trish's group, but it seems like they will have more of a role in the series, as Jenny, the shy friend, had some boy trouble coming along that I was curious about. Lucien, Adrian's eleven year old brother was so innocent and cute, I adored him. He doesn't know much about the human world and its customs, Adrian and his family having to save him from their father. Julian, Adrian's eldest brother is a mystery (he did like to show off his chest off though), neither friend or foe, so I hope he is shown more.
The plot was interesting, with vampires being half-demon and are born, not created. There were some creepy parts with Caitlin having dreams about herself running away and being killed, that gave it a more darker aspect. It had some light parts too, but the flow of the story worked well with both. I liked the descriptions of all the clothes and materials that West included since Caitlin is a fashion designer. So, I can't wait to read more!
My Rating : 5 Stars
Entertaining book, got me to read it in a few days. I liked how West made it focus on Caitlin's school life and her adapting to this new place, while also adding the vampire-ism to the story. I liked the overall plot and how it related to Caitlin and Adrian.
Romance Rating : 5
I liked the romance, even when it had some tough moments. Truthfully I didn't like Caitlin for a majority of the book, but I liked Adrian.
Recommended : Yes!
I don't like much hate or comparison with vampire books, but people should still give it a try if you like this somewhat cute story that involves the human-vampire trope. Don't knock it till you try it! I wrote this review awhile ago so I may have forgotten to mention some things, but regardless I'm looking forward to next one in the series.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment