Saturday, December 2, 2017

Review : The Best Kind of Magic by Crystal Cestari


Title : The Best Kind of Magic (Windy City Magic #1)
Author : Crystal Cestari
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Romance, Fantasy

Blurb from Goodreads :

Amber works at her mother's magic shop--Windy City Magic--in downtown Chicago, and she's confident she's seen every kind of happy ending there is: except for one--her own. (The Fates are tricky jerks that way.) So when Charlie Blitzman, the mayor's son and most-desired boy in school, comes to her for help finding his father's missing girlfriend, she's distressed to find herself falling for him. Because while she can't see her own match, she can see his--and it's not Amber. How can she, an honest peddler of true love, pursue a boy she knows full well isn't her match?

In the city of Chicago, where all kinds of creatures lurk, Amber Sand is a descendent of witches. Sadly, she isn't a witch herself, but she does have the ability to see someone's soul mate, except her own. Working at her mother's witchcraft store, Windy City Magic, she helps people by being a matchmaker, and being with their rightful soul mate. When the mayor's son ask her help in his Dad's match with his soon to be step-mom, Amber risks her heart for falling for someone who's not meant to be with her.

I really like the premise of this story and was very surprised by the unexpected creatures that are also in this book. From Sirens, to Goblins, to Shapeshifters, I liked the modern day look Cestari told this story in. I enjoyed her emphasis on what it means to have a soul mate and how Amber's ability hinders her will to help those that want to be matched. This book is more than just finding the right match, but how there are always possibilities and what people to do to control how it happens.

Theres more to the story besides Amber falling for a guy she isn't suppose to. It delves deeper into the world of people with similar abilities and her struggles with accepting that she isn't going to be the witch her mom wanted her to be. There's also some time type of disagreement when a fellow member of her mother's witch coven, Dawning Day, tries to change the clan for the worse. I also like Amani's own entanglement with her true love, and her own gifted powers. Her story was a bit unexpected, and I enjoyed reading it.

So, Amber is a very sassy girl, I think some people won't enjoy her attitude but I felt it gave her more personality. Don't get me wrong, she annoyed me sometimes and can be particularly prideful at some points, but she's not a bad character. She's sad that she can't be more of a witch to help out her mom when she needs assistance, but wants to use the powers she does have to help people. She has side comments displayed in parenthesis if she's derailing from a topic somewhat, but those tidbits were nice to read. She does have a bit of a shallow nature in the beginning, but begins to open her mind once she gets to know Charlie. On.... to my favorite character!

Charlie is pretty swoony, got to admit. I think everyone will enjoy his character. He's the mayor's son and has money, which apparently calls all the girls to him. Not to mention his good looks add a bonus to his admiration. He's a loner at school though, and prefers it that way, which admittedly gave a bad impression to Amber. Once she stops fussing about his higher status, she comes to realize he's not a bad guy and comes to enjoy his company. She starts helping him find his soon to be step-mother, and feelings start to develop between them, and Charlie isn't shy about displaying them. Their development was probably the best part of the books. Charlie isn't an idiot and he knows that she sees someone else in his future, but still wants to trust the feelings they have in their current moment.

Amani is Amber's best friend and she has her own special powers too. They have a special bond, and have each other's back when it comes to the mean Siren bully at their school. Her side of the story has an unexpected love twist, but I thought it worked well with the story and Amber's own love life. Amber's mother Lucille is of course the witch of the family. She and her coven have weekly meetings and join together to work on such witchy things, until a disruption in the group puts her mother on hairs. These side plot lines added more creative aspects to this magical world and it was nice to read.

It seems in Cestari's book, humans are somewhat aware of all the creatures that lurk everywhere, but it was never exactly clarified. People seemed to believe in Amber's mom and her witch skills, but aren't open to other possibilities. So I kind of wanted more clarification on that note. I don't think I had anything really I disliked and besides Amber's snarkiness sometimes, I enjoyed the overall dealing with finding Charlie's future stepmom.

Rating : 5 Stars

A well deserved 5 stars from me. Even some parts where I was annoyed with Amber, the overall story, plotline, and development were good and I enjoyed most of it. I was expecting something different when I first read what is was going to be about, but I really adore Cestari's book. I'm really looking forward to the next book, because some love dramas going to go down from how this book left it off.

Romance Rating : 5

I have to say that I'm really fond of the romance in the book and how we knew that Amber would be reluctant to start something with Charlie, but rooting for her anyway. Charlie is a fine boy to like and I hope to see some more progress in the upcoming sequel! I really enjoyed his thoughts on helping his dad, and his overall personality, he was very easy to like.

Recommended : Yes!

This is a pretty good book, anyone who reads the synopsis and like the feel of where the story is going, will probably enjoy it. I liked the magical elements and creatures in this modern setting, so if you don't mind a saucy protagonist, I think this would be a satisfying book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment