Saturday, January 12, 2019
Review : Love, Hate & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
Please also check out my friends' Vicky's review of it on her blog as well!
Title : Love, Hate & Other Filters
Author : Samira Ahmed
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Contemporary, Romance
What's a young Indian-American girl to do when culture gets in the way with what she wants?
Blurb from Goodreads :
American-born seventeen-year-old Maya Aziz is torn between worlds. There’s the proper one her parents expect for their good Indian daughter: attending a college close to their suburban Chicago home, and being paired off with an older Muslim boy her mom deems “suitable.” And then there is the world of her dreams: going to film school and living in New York City—and maybe (just maybe) pursuing a boy she’s known from afar since grade school, a boy who’s finally falling into her orbit at school.
There’s also the real world, beyond Maya’s control. In the aftermath of a horrific crime perpetrated hundreds of miles away, her life is turned upside down. The community she’s known since birth becomes unrecognizable; neighbors and classmates alike are consumed with fear, bigotry, and hatred. Ultimately, Maya must find the strength within to determine where she truly belongs.
Maya Aziz is a Muslim Indian-American girl born and raised in Batavia, Illionis. With her senior year about to come to a close, she wants this chance to do something with her life and her passion of film-making. When an encounter with Phil, her crush and schoolmate, sparks fly when feelings seem recuperated. With her strict parents wanting her to go to a school nearby and follow their ways, Maya wants to break out of their shell soon. But when a terrorist attack befalls Illionis, Maya is faced with discrimination and stricter rules. How can she break free when her culture and parents keep bringing her back in?
Maya Aziz always has a camera on hand and her abundance of film knowledge is what got Phil talking to her. She's a good girl who's always done what her parents tell her to do, but when an acceptance to NYU comes knocking, she knows film-making is her future. Maya has an attitude that tells readers she's got a backbone, but if she had used that to make wiser decisions and prolong situations, she probably could've avoided some arguments with her parents that were bound to happen.
Phil was alright. He was not a dumb jock or jerk, but a nice guy who cares for Maya. This is her main love interest and while I honestly didn't think she needed this, as it could've been her best friend or someone else that could've related to her in her time of need. It's not like I disliked the romance but since the beginning, it seemed temporary. I know that she's young and that she will obviously find other romances, I just felt that this book didn't need one if it was just going to focus on her cultures and what she wants to do in her future.
Maya's parents are dentist. They are definitely strict with their customs, not necessary with Islam but their cultural standards and what they expect out of their child. I would expect readers would be rather displeased with her parents telling Maya what she has to become and do, in terms of her future and dating life. This is actually not an odd occurrence in terms of their culture, so I wouldn't be so harsh on them as it takes time and adjustment for parents to come to terms with American dreams.
Some supporting characters would be Violet, her best friend, and Kazeem, a former potential love interest. Violet is a pretty rad best friend and always has Maya's back, whether if it was with bullies or to just cheer her on with her relationship with Phil. Kazeem was someone Maya's parents would've approved of, but with Maya's thoughts on Phil she didn't want to play Kazeem along. No worries for a love triangle, folks. Maya feels pretty guilty and she sets things straight before anything could've really happened.
I enjoyed most of the book and accepted the situations that Maya knew she couldn't disobey, which I somewhat related to as a Muslim myself. I really enjoyed reading this book and it's diversity. The first few chapters, we're introduced to a wedding that's very detailed and brings a world that people wouldn't necessarily know. Ahmed knows how to work with her characters and enlightened the story when there was so much going on. This is a girl about doing what she is not use to giving, and letting her heart control her future.
While people would think being Muslim is much of the story, it mostly deals with the terrorism side rather than Maya's struggle with that identity. It glosses over those details with prayer and drinking alcohol, but I kind of wanted her to identify more with her self in term of religion rather than just her last name. I rather wish Ahmed dived more into that portion in her life, as I feel like she didn't care for some of her religious aspect, which is fine, but I didn't think it was necessary to pitch this book as one, as 'Indian-American' is suitable enough to diversify it.
Rating : 5 Stars
I had a fun time reading the first half of the book because the Indian culture was very pronounced with clothing and new words readers learn. The second half focused on the terrorist attack and the backlash that happened to Maya's family because of it. Overall, a well thought out structure and Ahmed's writing style is nice and smooth with some very likable characters.
Romance : 4
Probably the only real thing I disliked about this book. Besides the fact I didn't really feel the connection between two characters, I would think the book could've gone without. And this is from someone who loves romance. While I enjoyed reading their interactions, I kind of knew how the ending was going to be between the two of them. People will just have to find out just by reading the book.
Recommended : Yes!
Readers, do take a chance on this book. If the front cover didn't spark your interest, the blurb definitely will. We get to see some of the Indian culture and customs, and while the romance wasn't for me, I'm sure others will enjoy that and other aspects of the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This was an phenomenal book! There's so much to love about Maya, her family, her BFF and her journey. I agree with your thoughts about the romance, girl! It really wasn't exactly necessary. Maya's close bonds with Violet and her Aunt Hina, along with her friendship with Kareem were more than enough! It was however, really refreshing that Phil wasn't the typical cocky, jock, love interest and that there were NO LOVE TRIANGLES. Praise be! 🤗✨
ReplyDelete