Monday, June 13, 2016

Review: Spelled by Betsy Schow


Title : Spelled (Spelled #1)
Author : Betsy Schow
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Romance, Fantasy, Adventure, Retellings, Comedy

Betsy Schow brings a whole new meaning to Fairytales, with her fiction novel, Spelled.

From Goodreads :

Dorthea is completely princed out. Sure being the crown princess of Emerald has its perks—like Glenda Original ball gowns and Hans Christian Louboutin heels. But a forced marriage to the brooding prince Kato is so not what Dorthea had in mind for her enchanted future.

Talk about unhappily ever after. 

Trying to fix her prince problem by wishing on a (cursed) star royally backfires, leaving the kingdom in chaos and her parents stuck in some place called "Kansas." Now it's up to Dorthea and her pixed off prince to find the mysterious Wizard of Oz and undo the curse...before it releases the wickedest witch of all and spells The End for the world of Story.

Princess Dorthea Emerald is the spoiled princess in her kingdom. Her selfishness causes the world of Fairy Tales to be in disorder when she wishes something regrettable. When the Queen Griz tricks her into making a wish that vanishes her parents and bring her world into chaos, it's up to her figure out to get back it in order. With the help of her new friends, Kato and Rexi, they have a long way to go before they can consider anything to be 'Happily Ever After' just yet.

Since this is based on Wizard of Oz, I have to say that I have never watched the movie, and I only know from what I heard of some of the characters. I still didn't know what I was expecting or how relevant it was to the original plotline, but boy am I glad that didn't stop me. This book was so much fun to read! I read it so quickly that I knew that this was the book for me! From the get-go, Schow leads every chapter with some Fairytale type tip that Dorthea most likely read from their version of magazines/guide books, to help with her journey of breaking the weird curse set about the Realm of the Fairytales. It's set similarly in our own everyday world, but just with a kick of Fairytale added. When everybody is cursing in their own lingo, it's just hilarious, and Schow really knows how to entertain people. The best part was when one of the characters used a spellphone and Wrong Direction's hit song, "My Spells What Makes You Beautiful" was read and wow, I could not stop laughing. Schow was so creative in spicing up the characters and setting the background in this weird land of Fairytales, where everything is going wrong.

Dorthea was a dislikable heroine from the beginning only, understandable with how she was cursed to be stuck inside her fortress and had never stepped outside the walls before. She craved the outside walls instead of being inside her cage of comfort and solitude. Totally backfires when Queen Griz makes her appearance, and she finally gains the freedom she wants, but I don't think this is how she wanted it. She's a lonely teenager who gets bombarded with Princes every which way, so I sympathized at some points of the book. Not to say she wasn't snobby or shallow too, but hey, not everyone is perfect. She had grown on me and I like her development as she realized she can't be too dependent on people, but can still have help along the way. Dorthea is hilarious and I loved her for it, she just fascinated me and I seriously couldn't get enough of her.

Oh man, I loved Prince Kato, he's this high almighty Prince that cares for his own Kingdom and how to save them, but he was a furball for most of the book, which just downplayed his mighty-ness. But, when he was he was human, aww man, he had alot of swoon-worthy moments and even before than, I already fell for his character. He came to marry Princess Dorthea, but wasn't expecting to find a brat and their first meeting wasn't desirable. But, when they joined together to save all of Fairytale, they grew to like each other and their interactions were so sweet sometimes that I wanted my own Prince Kato.

There were other side characters I wanted to mention, like Rexi. She was a maid working for Dorthea and wow, did she really hate the Princess. She had one sassy mouth and her remarks were sometimes rude, but she was one of the most hilarious characters too. Then there's Vert, a good witch, trying to set up Dorthea's life according to plan, and the supposed 'Wizard of Oz', a heartbroken weirdo, who can't let bygones be bygones. I especially like Bobbledandrophous or Bob (Don't worry, that's not the only ridicolous name, ha!), Kato's chief advisor. I couldn't help seeing his awkwardness in helping the gang out and his soft side for being a big beast. I just really enjoyed all the characters Schow bestowed upon us.

Her descriptions were on point and wasn't confusing at all. It's a pretty fast-paced moving novel, but I don't think Schow glossed over anything that we weren't suppose to know. I just loved her creative imagination in putting this world together and having it made more of a romantic comedy. It's similar in style of Janet Rallison's Fair Godmother series, and I loved her books so this book definitely did not disappoint.

My Rating : 5+ Stars

Loved this book so much! These are just my type of books, from adventure to those romance moments that I really loved, it was just the perfect book for me. Don't forget how Dorthea changed from beginning to end, I like when there is definite growth of her as a character, and how readers are suppose to dislike her in the beginning. Readers see the decisions she made led her to became less selfish, while still remaining her spontaneous personality. The plot was engaging and I loved the whole storyline, it never got less entertaining!

Romance : 5+

This romance was not that slow-moving but I think it went at a decent pace, where the Dorthea and Kato grew to love each other and have it not be a love at first sight kind of thing. The moment Kato confessed to doing anything for Dorthea, I could not have asked more from this guy. I liked the overall factor that they weren't really separated through out the whole book and that this journey was together, giving readers more to like in their developing relationship. I've read that Schow is making this a trilogy and I'm so glad, since Kato and Dorthea didn't have their happily ever after just yet.

Recommended : Hell Yes!

If people want some fairytales going in the wrong direction, plus some hilariousness and romance, please read this book! I couldn't possible praise it more than I can, it's delightful and grasping, so give it a chance, you'll definite have a laugh or two out of it! 8D.

No comments:

Post a Comment