Title : Vampire Crush
Author : A.M. Robinson
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Fantasy, Romance
Let's dive back in an old favorite genre, with Robinson's, Vampire Crush.
Blurb from Goodreads:
I swear, my life was always totally normal.
Sophie McGee is your average loner, competitive journalist and the girl nobody really knows. On the verge of winning the spot for chief editor of her school paper, she has to interview the new students that are a bit too . . .odd. When interviewing the students leads to some unexpected questions, she goes on her own investigate report of figuring out why most of the students all know each other. Coincidentally, her childhood neighborhood decides to come back, different but still the same guy she knew, but it leads Sophie to find more unanswered questions. When one of the students, Vlad, takes an interest in her step-sister, Caroline, Sophie has to stop things before they get to far.
I first wanted to say that I totally judged on the cover, as I just wanted to read a cute vampire romance. I kind of found it misleading, including the title, it didn't feel like a romance at all. I admit that I was one those fans who loved Twilight, still do, so I still like to give vampire romance genre in YA a try now and again. I was expecting so much more and was a bit disappointed, not to say it was a bad book, but that my expectations were a bit high when I read the synopsis.
Sophie is a pretty competitive in getting the the chief editor job, but it seems like thats all she cared about when she's criticizing others who had friends and actually did more for their high school life. I initially didn't like her as I didn't see a steady growth of her becoming more that just a journalist. She was definitely humorous, but lack of character growth didn't want me to sympathize in her situation at all. She didn't want to even become friends with her competitor just because she didn't want her to be editor. I did like her will to not break down when things with the new students were becoming strange and she always seemed up to the challenge. Her relationship with Violet, one of the students, was hilarious and I enjoyed her random moments with James, her old childhood friend.
Speaking of James, he's Sophie friend since grade school so when he suddenly moved back after three or so years with this group, Sophie is suspicious. They have some cute banter when they want to avoid their attraction to each other and I liked their overall interaction. Since this is a stand-alone, I expected more out of their relationship. I liked how they knew each other before, and their mind reading moments, but I wasn't so engrossed in their relationship as I wanted to be.
Sophie's step-sis, Caroline, wasn't someone to really like, as she seem conceited and was obsessed with Vlad. Marisabel, another Vlad obsess-y student, was alright, but didn't seem important. Violet was definitely interesting, and to me, she seemed the most likable character with her obsession of Seventeen magazines and her change of love interest from James to Neal, a regular student at the school. Neville, another new student that came with Vlad, was into high school and didn't want to go along with Vlad. Some entertaining characters, but I wasn't sure if they were all necessary to the whole plot.
My Rating : 4 Stars
I was very into this book in the beginning, but I wasn't into Sophie as much as a protagonist. I didn't see any real development, but I still enjoyed moments with her discovering Vlad's posse. The ending was a bit unexpected and I was surprised with that outcome, so I still think its a good book and a nice read.
Romance : 4
Again, didn't see much happening between Sophie and James to make me like them enough as a couple. The way the author ended the book, I would've expected a sequel or something, but with it being a stand-alone, I just wanted more in general.
Recommended : Yes.
I still think it's worth a read, I feel like if people want a different kind of protagonist, and not much romance, but more vampire, go for it.
Normal house, normal family, normal school. My looks are average, I don't have any superpowers, no one's showing up to tell me I'm a princess - you get the picture. But when my junior year started, something not normal happened. There were new kids at school . . . new kids with a wardrobe straight out of a 19th-century romance novel, and an inexplicable desire to stay at school until sundown.
I first wanted to say that I totally judged on the cover, as I just wanted to read a cute vampire romance. I kind of found it misleading, including the title, it didn't feel like a romance at all. I admit that I was one those fans who loved Twilight, still do, so I still like to give vampire romance genre in YA a try now and again. I was expecting so much more and was a bit disappointed, not to say it was a bad book, but that my expectations were a bit high when I read the synopsis.
Sophie is a pretty competitive in getting the the chief editor job, but it seems like thats all she cared about when she's criticizing others who had friends and actually did more for their high school life. I initially didn't like her as I didn't see a steady growth of her becoming more that just a journalist. She was definitely humorous, but lack of character growth didn't want me to sympathize in her situation at all. She didn't want to even become friends with her competitor just because she didn't want her to be editor. I did like her will to not break down when things with the new students were becoming strange and she always seemed up to the challenge. Her relationship with Violet, one of the students, was hilarious and I enjoyed her random moments with James, her old childhood friend.
Speaking of James, he's Sophie friend since grade school so when he suddenly moved back after three or so years with this group, Sophie is suspicious. They have some cute banter when they want to avoid their attraction to each other and I liked their overall interaction. Since this is a stand-alone, I expected more out of their relationship. I liked how they knew each other before, and their mind reading moments, but I wasn't so engrossed in their relationship as I wanted to be.
Sophie's step-sis, Caroline, wasn't someone to really like, as she seem conceited and was obsessed with Vlad. Marisabel, another Vlad obsess-y student, was alright, but didn't seem important. Violet was definitely interesting, and to me, she seemed the most likable character with her obsession of Seventeen magazines and her change of love interest from James to Neal, a regular student at the school. Neville, another new student that came with Vlad, was into high school and didn't want to go along with Vlad. Some entertaining characters, but I wasn't sure if they were all necessary to the whole plot.
My Rating : 4 Stars
I was very into this book in the beginning, but I wasn't into Sophie as much as a protagonist. I didn't see any real development, but I still enjoyed moments with her discovering Vlad's posse. The ending was a bit unexpected and I was surprised with that outcome, so I still think its a good book and a nice read.
Romance : 4
Again, didn't see much happening between Sophie and James to make me like them enough as a couple. The way the author ended the book, I would've expected a sequel or something, but with it being a stand-alone, I just wanted more in general.
Recommended : Yes.
I still think it's worth a read, I feel like if people want a different kind of protagonist, and not much romance, but more vampire, go for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment