Monday, May 30, 2016
Review: Serpentine by Cindy Pon
Title : Serpentine (Serpentine #1)
Author : Cindy Pon
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Fantasy, Romance, Mythology
Cindy Pon takes readers to a rich world of Chinese mythology and folklore with her new series, Serpentine.
From Goodreads :
Lush with details from Chinese folklore, Serpentine tells the coming of age story of Skybright, a young girl who worries about her growing otherness. As she turns sixteen, Skybright notices troubling changes. By day, she is a companion and handmaid to the youngest daughter of a very wealthy family. But nighttime brings with it a darkness that not even daybreak can quell.
When her plight can no longer be denied, Skybright learns that despite a dark destiny, she must struggle to retain her sense of self – even as she falls in love for the first time.
Taken place in the same world as her other series, Silver Phoenix, Pon uses the world of Xia to get readers to know the underworld and its hidden demons. Skybright, a sixteen year old handmaiden to Zhen Li, struggles with her new identity as she is brought into a world she didn't think existed. What couldn't make it worst is the distance relationship with her mistress as the new girl, Lan, takes place in Zhen Li's heart. Throw in Kai Sen, a rejected monk in training, filling a place she didn't know she ever wanted, makes for a tale with some twist and turns.
The plot and situation was pretty original, in my honest opinion. I like her writing alot, and the fact that she writes third person limited. Focusing on Skybright and her struggles coping with being part of this underworld, makes it more awesome. (Hint, the title gives it away.) The first half of the book focuses on Skybright hiding her new self from both Zhen Li and Kai Sen, while the second leans towards how she wants to be a part both, the mortal and underworld. The world of Xia itself is so cool! I love how she puts alot of Chinese lore into this tale, from the undead to the immortal. It makes for adventurous story.
Skybright is very level-headed and bad ass kind of girl, while also being kind and protective of her mistress. She knew her place in life was always being with Zhen Li, so she isn't prepared to being transforming into a creature of the underworld. Her backstory is a mystery, but she knows nothing but being with her mistress, until she goes out and see what the world has drawn. When Lan interrupts their lives, and makes Zhen Li happier than she ever could, Skybright is drawn into her other world and Kai Sen.
Zhen Li, is very sweet, a bit spoiled, and outspoken girl. I know Pon was trying to display a sister friendship and how deep they can be, but I didn't see too much of that. I felt they relied on each other alot and knew each other since they were practically born, but I still didn't see it. I understood Skybright status as a handmaiden, and that she will always be lower to Zhen Li, but I don't know, I wanted to see a more stable bond between them. Maybe it was just that the readers are told of their friendships from past years, and Skybright had her own trials with her new identity, that I didn't feel it. Pon certainly displayed some aspect of their friendship in the current timeline, but with Zhen Li having focuses elsewhere, I felt more distance than anything.
Kai Sen, I loved him so much! He's this nice guy that Skybright notices right away at the monastery, and their interactions are continuous as the the story progresses. They both have things to hide but in the end their love was just so sweet. He would be so swoon-worthy if he was in real life, I can't begin to say Skybright is a lucky girl to have this guy's love. He ties in with the underworld and have powers of his own which is questionable, so I hope to read so much more of him in the next book!
Stone . . He's part of the darkness coming to Xia and I can't say I like him too much. He's not a good guy or even a bad guy per say, but I don't like the attraction he pulls to Skybright just because she's part of the underworld. I can't say much about him because I truly have no idea what he is and what his purpose in the story for. It seems like a love triangle would unfold, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.
My Rating : 5 Stars
I like this book alot, and I enjoyed slowly taking in all the characters, reading along side my friend (Hi, Vic!). There was nothing I really disliked, and it's such a diverse book from my usual, it's good to read something different. I have to say the ending was to be suspected, but I hope the next book clears it up a bit, and gives a more satisfying ending.
Romance : 5
I loved the romance in the book, and Kai Sen's part in it. He just made it better, although its going towards a love triangle, readers can see Skybright's love for him. I loved all their interactions, and when she helped him even though she didn't know him that well yet. I loved how he accepted her as she is, and wonder what the next book will bring.
Recommended : Yes!
This book was very engrossing and if people read her other series, they'll definitely like this too! I love the Chinese lore and this world Pon created, and it's good to see a bit of diversity compared to the norm. If you like fantasy and want some kick ass heroine in a Chinese historical setting, this is the book for you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment