Saturday, May 21, 2016
Review: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
Title : Truthwitch (Witchlands #1)
Author : Susan Dennard
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Adventure, Fantasy, Romance
This epic new fantasy series by Susan Dennard is a real page-turner that changes the ways readers know what a witch is.
From Goodreads :
In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.
Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.
Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.
In this world of witchery that Dennard has made, witches are common and all of them focus on one of the five elements - fire, water, air, wind, and aether. The first book in this series focuses mainly on the Truthwitch, Safiya, a rare type of witch, who can discern lie from truth, and is very highly sought out for. Safiya and Iseult begin their journey running into another type of rare witch, the Bloodwitch, Aeduan and are put into a deathly chase. Put in more complications with a betrothal, countries seeking allies, and some kick-ass hero/heroines, and you've got an adventure. Told in third person from Safiya, Iseult, a Windwitch named Merik, and the Bloodwitch, Aeduan, it's different from the usual fantasy books I've read.
Wow. This book was amazing! I really loved everything about it, the plot was pretty original and I liked this whole new world of witches that Dennard created. It's my first time reading from this author and it did not disappoint. I actually put it off for awhile because I knew I was going to devour this book so quickly. All the characters are pretty bad ass and I liked the overall world in general, although in the beginning there were so many terms I couldn't keep for awhile. Not to say that it was bad, but it just took awhile for me to grasp who or what anything was. Besides the main elements the witches posses, some of them have specific specialties within those elements, and I was a bit confused with that for awhile too, but it really all comes together as the story progresses. On to the characters!
Safiya is a cool character and she really fights tooth and nail for her Threadsister, Iseult. They have a very special bond, that they'll do anything for each other. She knows how to fight and kill, but she also has a soft side. She seem kind of air-headed in the beginning and doesn't really know what she wants, but the ending has her grasping the reality of her situation and like how she's grown to be a level-headed person.
Which comes back to Iseult. She's always been an outcast because of her hair and skin color, and I really wish I got to know more of her story and background, but I feel like that will be waiting in another book. Iseult also has similar fighting skills like Safi and they make quite the duo. She and Safi get separated for awhile and readers discover of her family and that her Threadwitch powers are more than she thought it was. She seems like someone who can't find herself and I felt for her, and was glad that she had Safi to be there with her. I had hope some stuff would happen with her and Aeduan, but who knows where'll that will lead. They definitely have some common traits and I just can't help but hope that it will bring them together.
Merik. . .He is very swoon worthy for sure. He cares so much for his people and he's willing to do anything to help them. Him and his threadbrother, Kullen also have a special bond, and it just displays how kind-hearted he really is. I could not get enough of his character, including the back and forth relationship between him and Safi. They definitely have some chemistry going on and besides some bickering, I applaud the way he controls himself to be the leader he's suppose to be. I'm so happy the next book is going to focus more on him and I just know this series will be a favorite of mine.
Last but not least, there's Aeduan. He's not the bad guy everyone is going to think he is. I hope he's going to have his own book too, because there's so much mystery surrounding him. He has a job to do, it ties in with his family and I was frustrated that readers weren't given as much of him as I wanted. He has his good sides and his bad, but there's a softness within him and I love his character too much to not want to know more! I rather readers find out for themselves if they would like him or not so I didn't want to say too much about him.
My Rating : 5+ Stars
This is a great book, I had to give it a higher rating. It really captivated me, and I want to read more by this author that I've already got her other series to read soon. The writing was so on point and vivid, just wow, her details and description are amazing, couldn't be more impressed. This book was a -could-not-put-down- type of book and I just can't wait to read Merik's story.
Romance : 5
Don't get me wrong, it didn't focus alot on romance but it was definitely there and we even got some making out, so I rated it high. Readers could see some spark happen, and I like the progression of how they came together and what they've learned from each other. I'm gushing so much about the next book because I've already want to read it like, now!
Recommended : Hell Yes!
This will book will appeal to readers who like fantasy and its focus on magic. I really can't recommend it more than I already have, so please take a chance and read it! It's worth a read and hopefully it will not disappoint.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment