Friday, April 28, 2017
Review : A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess
Title : A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire #1)
Author : Jessica Cluess
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Fantasy, Historical, Romance
A young sorcerer that can spit out fire with her whole body, sign me up!
From Goodreads :
Henrietta Howel can burst into flames. When she is brought to London to train with Her Majesty's sorcerers, she meets her fellow sorcerer trainees, young men eager to test her powers and her heart. One will challenge her. One will fight for her. One will betray her. As Henrietta discovers the secrets hiding behind the glamour of sorcerer life, she begins to doubt that she's the true prophesied one. With battle looming, how much will she risk to save the city--and the one she loves?
Taken place in the Victorian period, for ten years Ancient beings have come into the world and ravaged and pillaged cities. There is talks of a chosen woman with fire, who is going to help vanquish these beings. Henrietta Howel is this supposed chosen one and is being trained to master her powers in the heart of London for the approval of Queen Victoria. She is sent to be trained by another sorcerer, Master Agrippa and trained along side his other Incubements. When Henrietta is testing out her powers, she discovers she might not be this prophesied one at all.
Wow was this book a blast, I especially like the setting era and how formal it seems to be, but there's acceptance of other creatures and other beings like magicians and witches, which are different from a sorcerer. I don't know much about the era per say but Cluess did a good job describing the details and their clothing. I was pretty engrossed with the story from chapter two and I like how she changed up the whole idea of being a so called 'prophesied one' that alot of books are doing, not to say that it's bad but it's a nice change. On to the story!
Our main protagonist Henrietta is a very likable heroine. She comes from a somewhat poor background so when she's thrust into London, she feels the exhilaration it comes from being so privileged, but doesn't ever look down on those who aren't. She tries to make to make the best of the situation and makes her best friend, Rook come along with her. She later finds out the worst of her scenario and doesn't know what to do besides play along. Which is understandable when alot of people are expecting so much of her, but I still didn't like that aspect of her personality. She doesn't annoy the readers or flaunt herself, but is genuinely happy to be of use and work her magic. I think that makes up for it when she wants to save everyone, including Rook and her new friends.
Henrietta got some kool powers on her hands, especially with her fire ability, which she can make her whole body aflame. She's considered a sorcerer so that isn't her only ability as her training consisted of all the elements and using them to her benefit. Every sorcerer has a special stave and give them names that bind them to their owner, which is pretty kool concept, as they use it to help construct their magic. Yet Henrietta doesn't need it when it comes to her fire powers. Readers can figure out that she doesn't know herself how far she will get, but will be rooting for her as she has many enemies coming her way.
Ok, so on to the part that I didn't really like or dislike.There is indeed a smidge of romance, I say smidge but it can be turned into a way bigger love triangle than can be expected. Magnus is another student under Agrippa, and he's a playboy, but Henrietta does take a liking to him and they have some moments together. I don't really like him since now and then you do see him trying to get a girl, so I really hope she doesn't end up with him. Then there's Rook, her best friend and one of the reasons she left her teaching job to go to London with. He's a sweet guy and knows he doesn't deserved Henrietta but can't resist her all the same. He's also one of the those that got hurt by one of the Ancients and has injuries that prove it. He's considered an Unclean and its turning him into something that Henrietta desperately wants to save. I like Rook since he has Henrietta best interests at heart even though she doesn't deserve it. I really don't know where the romance will be going but we'll have to see.
Another great character is Blackwood, another student alongside Magnus, who doesn't have a good start with Henrietta, but they gradually have a mutual understanding with each other. If anything, I rather Henrietta be with him, but I don't think that's where their friendship is going, but then again, who knows! A few other characters I like to mention is Hargrove, a mysterious begger, who knows more about Henrietta than she knew herself. He helps her along the way and we find out some great backstory with him. Although there are seven Ancients in the book, we see two of them. Korozoth, the one who harmed Rook, and R'hlem, a skinless being who haunts Henrietta's dreams.
This is definitely a journey of a story! It kept me engrossed and eager to learn more of this time period, and how and what these beings are trying to do. It's also interesting the type of magic there is and I like Henrietta's growth to learn them. She can be selfish at times but I like characters with flaws, because it shows they need improvement. I can't wait to read the next book!
Rating : 5 Stars
Overall, I liked the journey of the book and Henrietta learning her powers and trying to control them. I think thats what I liked most because we actually see her struggles and she's trying to be the phopesized one with effort, where other books kind of just give it to and 'bam!' they magically know what to do and how to defeat the enemy. So I give it 5 stars since besides the romance, I was engaged in the story.
Romance Rating : 3
Yeh . . I didn't like the romance in the book, while I felt for Rook and would prefer Henrietta choosing him over Magnus, I literally have no idea where the romance is going. I think I would've been more happy if there wasn't one at all to be honest, and that's saying something since I do like romances and sometimes love triangles if I know who the lead character will end up with. I hope Rook gets a good ending regardless, since he's a good guy. Magnus, I don't really care much for.
Recommended : Yes!
If you like fantasy and historical periods, this is a good book to read. The writing style is excellent and I don't think I wanted to stop reading even with the undetermined romance, I think people would like Henrietta's journey and what she has to do to get there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment