Thursday, May 25, 2017

Review : Revel by Maurissa Guibord


Title : Revel
Author : Maurissa Guibord
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Romance, Fantasy, Mythology

Delia takes quite a dive when she searches for her grandmother, leading her to the mysterious place of Trespass Island.

From Goodreads :

Shrouded in mist and protected by a deadly reef, Trespass Island is home to a community of people who guard the island and its secrets from outsiders. Seventeen-year-old Delia grew up in Kansas, but has come here in search of her family and answers to her questions: Why didn’t her mother ever talk about Trespass Island? Why did she fear the open water? But Delia’s not welcome and soon finds herself enmeshed in a frightening and supernatural world where ancient Greek symbols adorn the buildings and secret ceremonies take place on the beach at night.

I've read Guibord's other book, Warped and loved it, so I wanted to give her only other book a chance too. I'm glad I did, as it she takes mythology sea creatures and turns it for a spin. Although I enjoyed this book, there was some stuff I was irked by, and it was mostly the main character, Delia. The overall journey and her encounters were very intriguing to read, and I like the mythology that surrounds this small island, but Delia was kind of too headstrong for my taste. Still, I was glad to read it and hope others will too.

Delia McGovern has been taken from foster place to place after her mother's death, and she finally took the chance to find her grandmother. Her destination takes her off the coast of Maine and into the very secluded island of Trespass. The circumstances that eventually lead her to get on the island were odd, so the mystery gets bigger when the island's people don't welcome her. There's something definitely wrong with the people and the island itself. As Delia stays longer on the island and with her grandmother, she discovers there is something odd about herself too.

Delia, she's a pretty headstrong girl and very determined with her ways. I like her difference to the people and how her mind set is so against some of their customs, but she was a bit much sometimes. The people of the island were content with how things were and she drastically changed that outcome without real thoughts to the consequences. There were a couple of times she interfered with some of their ways, and while she did it with the best intentions, she could've did with more caution. There's also a mystery about her and her relationship with the sea creatures that inhabit the waters. I don't want to give too much away but readers will realize that Delia is connected to them to. You won't know exactly what she is until mid-way and I can honestly say I was surprised to what she was exactly.

There is two guys that like her in this book, but Delia only has one guy on her mind, so no worries for a love triangle. There's Jax, a mysterious outcast within his clan, and Delia feels an instant attraction with him from the get go. I didn't dislike Jax but I liked Sean, the lobster worker who's dad died, and who's striving to keep his mother alive and well. I felt more partial to Sean since he seemed genuine and was trying to protect Delia by keeping her out of the loop. Jax was a good character too, when he helped her adjust to what she was becoming and saving her from danger. I was kind of trying to figure out who Delia was more into, since each guy came up in every other chapter or so. She thinks they are both good-looking and has their own thoughts to what should happen on the island, so I didn't know who I was suppose to be rooting for to be with.

I liked Guibord's writing style, it's simple and to the point, she knows how to hook me in. I liked the small world she created within this island and the creatures she made. The mythology is kool, it relates to Poseidon and how the island has his power preserved there. The creativity and the island was what got me, even though I didn't like Delia much. I didn't really get the title much, their is a type of ritual that takes place called Revel, and this is where the climax of the story starts, but I felt it didn't suit the theme of the book, but that could just be me. Regardless, enjoyed it.

Rating : 4 Stars

I did enjoy the first half of the book, but by one-fourth of the book, it didn't capture me as much, and I felt it was a bit of a rushed ending. It was a good ending itself and everything was resolved, but I think I got tired of Delia. I like the direction Guibord went with in the book, and some stuff really surprised me, but I didn't feel the satisfaction I usually do when I finish a book, so 4 stars it is.

Romance Rating : 4 Stars

Maybe it was because she didn't choose the guy I thought she was going for, but overall the guy she did choose wasn't a bad character, so I still enjoyed their interactions. When she kept bringing him up so often, readers will get it who's really on her mind, even though in the beginning I couldn't figure who it was. Still I liked the romance and how it overall went.

Recommended : Yes.

If you like mystery with some sea creatures, (they aren't really merman/mermaids if people are wondering about that) I would say give this a go. Some people will like Delia more than I did and her determined personality, so take a chance if it suits your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment