Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Review: The White Rose by Amy Ewing
Title : The White Rose (The Lone City #2)
Author : Amy Ewing
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Fantasy, Dystopia, Romance
Violet Lasting is on the run from the Jewel and finds hidden talents from her Auguries with the help of a new mentor in this sequel to, The Jewel.
From Goodreads:
Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude.
But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?
After getting caught by the Duchess of the Lake, Violet, and Ash get helped from an unlikely ally and escape, bringing Raven, Violet's best friend along as well. They go through the Lone City to get to safe place in the Farm and finds out about the mysterious group Lucien has gathered. The first half of the novel focuses on them escaping and then arriving at the so called White Rose. Here, Violet finds more about herself and the other surrogates that will change the course of how the The Jewel rules Lone City.
I really enjoyed this book much more that the first just because there was more Ash involved. In the first book, we had to meet him about halfway through and I was disappointed that we didn't get to know more about him. In this book, I felt for Ash and how useless he felt to Violet and even to his family. He definitely progressed as a character and how involved he is with Violet and her crew.
Raven was a surprise, not because of how out of it she was from being with her mistress but how she and Violet came together and I liked how helpful she was when they were about to be caught. I didn't get much from her in the first book so I'm glad we get more a development of the general characters. Which comes to Garnet, he just pops out of nowhere unexpectedly and amused me so much. I think he will have his own novella and I hope he appears more in the last book!
I liked where the story is going since I was a bit bored and confused when I read the first one, so I'm glad this one entertained me more and we get more then just Violet. The ending took me by surprise, didn't think the Duchess would stoop so low. I can't wait to read the last book to see where it ends. There isn't much I can say in this review without revealing spoilers so I just wanted to brief with some likes I enjoyed.
My Rating : 5 Stars
This book was an improvement from the last one and although I feel like I'm being too judgy, I'm still going to rate it a 5 stars because I went through it pretty quickly and I felt for the characters and hope the last book comes to a satisfying ending.
Romance Rating : 4
Ash is such a good guy, I couldn't help but love him and hate the situation that the Duchess put him in. I like how he respects Violet and wants to feel useful to the cause they're going against. Their relationship was mostly in the background but it was still nice to see some moments with them together.
Recommended : Yes.
This is with in mind that this book is a bit different from the first so I think readers should give it a chance. There are some new characters and you get to learn more of the corruption of the Jewel. So if people did enjoy the first one or even if you didn't, I still think its worth a read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment