Thursday, April 28, 2016
Review: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Title : An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1)
Author : Sabaa Tahir
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Fantasy, Adventure, Dystopia, Romance
A new Fantasy novel by Sabaa Tahir take readers to a new world of violence and adventure as we look through the eyes of Laia and Elias.
Goodreads Blurb :
It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.
But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.
There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.
When the Empire takes Laia's brother away, she is forced to spy on the Commandant and gather the secrets of the Blackcliff training school, known for the education of the notorious Masks. Trying to stay alive and feed information to the rebels, the readers get a more inside look of the school and what is to become of the Empire. Told from first person perspective of both Laia and Elias, a world is unravelled as they try to stay strong for others and themselves. I won't go too much into the plot and story but let's just say it, this was hell of a story and you have to read it yourself to find out!
Wow, was this a book full of adventure. I have to say I didn't expect most of what was going to happen and the language is so rich and beautiful, the world Tahir created is both brutal and startling, I couldn't put it down even if I tried to! There's so much to say about this book, I don't know where to begin.
I'll start with the two main characters. I have to admit, it was taking awhile for me to see them meet and have that spark that I was anticipating, but boy was I not disappointed. I ship those two so hard, you have no idea. Elias was this sweet, caring guy, no one besides, Helene, his best friend and Laia, get to really see that side of him. He doesn't want to be a Mask anymore and was planning on running away but when the Augurs (immortals, who lead people on their path) interfere, he has to face trials that will change him and the outcome of the Empire. He definitely has this justice within him that wants to be released and I see that more with Laia than Helene will ever give him.
Which comes to Laia, she thinks she is a coward and doesn't have what it takes to save her brother but she goes through so much, readers would have to be stupid not to see this passion she has and what she can do with it. She has her own trials to face and it takes a toll on her, but her brother is always on her mind. She even had her own side romance but I didn't really see that going anywhere. Readers will definitely see her growth as a character at the end, I was pleasantly surprised what she did and I love her with Elias so much.
Don't get me wrong, the romance was slow but the rare moments when they were together, it told more is to come between them in the upcoming books and I can't wait for it. They have a chemistry together thats probably going to change how the outcome of this series is going to be.
Helene is another main character, although the best friend of Elias and she has certain feelings for him that she can't hide for much longer. To be honest, I liked how she was the only female fighter in the school but I kinda didn't really like her as a character. She had different beliefs to Elias and it interrupted what I initially liked about her. Maybe because I'm just bias but those moments when there were almost kisses, I was screaming in my mind 'NO!' cause I knew it would ruin a lot of things and I don't mean just their friendship. Besides that, I wanted to know more about her and I feel like the next book will be in her point of view and I'm anticipating her thought process.
Overall, magnificent book! I didn't know where the story was going to take me and I had to read straight through because you have to read whats happening next! I was a bit lost with the abundance of names (characters and the world itself) in the beginning of the book but Tahir slowly helps the readers learn more of the world she's created. Again, her descriptions are so vivid, I really wanted to be part of this world.
My Rating : 5+ Stars
Hands down a new favorite book of mine. I'll probably buy the series when it ends because I want to read this book over and over again and I'm sure the next books will not disappoint! I can't describe enough of how much I enjoyed this book and how my next favorite book has to be really really good to beat this one.
Romance : 4
I have my own romance rating because I just have to have one and although this wasn't that big a part of this story, I liked those moments when they happened and ugh . . I just had alot of swoony moments going on when Laia and Elias were together. I loved the scene at the Moon festival, it was my favorite part and I just loved their interactions with each other when they were just care-free and enjoying themselves.
Recommended : Hell Yes!
Judging by my review, I think you can already tell that this book is highly recommended. If you are a fantasy lover, this is the book for you. It has all you can ever ask for and more. There may be a lot of hype surrounding this book but trust me, it was for good reason. So go and read it when you have the chance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment